Saturday 23 February 2013

Altered Clothes

When I was a kid I remember my mum telling me not to tell anyone about my plans before I'd finished, because if I didn't end up doing it or it didn't work people would know and I'd look silly. Well-meaning advice to be sure, but not entirely encouraging. I've certainly inherited some of her self-conscious caution and it stops me from doing a lot of things. I can be afraid to start a project because it might fail and I can't look forward to doing it anymore. And even if I haven't told a single person about it, I still know about it. I witnessed the discouraging failure. That alone can be bad enough.

But even so, I'm starting to push through this rather destructive mindset. Recently I've been reading through the blog of a talented seamstress called Jillian at Refashionista. She takes frumpy, ripped, discoloured or unwanted thrift store finds and alters them so they look like new. I've always liked fabrics - especially the quirky prints you can find in thrift shops. I'm not much of a sewer myself, so I never really considered doing a revamp of something I wouldn't otherwise wear until I saw the projects on her website. Sometimes just taking up the hem and shortening the sleeves is enough to entirely change the look of a dress. 

Here is one of my favourite Refashionista dresses, the Swagger Dress. Go and check out her blog, it's fantastic.


"Swagger Dress" by Refashionista, December 2011, www.refashionista.net


Now that I've seen these kind of alterations, I know it can be done. And if it can be done, then I can do it. I'm going to try making my own clothes. My brother has kindly donated a couple of his old shirts (one black and one purple). I even own a sewing machine. No more excuses. And I'm telling someone (even as vaguely as telling 'The Internet') because I know if I try to back out of it I'll look silly. Maybe that's the point my mum was trying to get across.

If you're going to do something, do it. Don't get lazy. Don't talk yourself out of trying. Don't give up until you've done what you set out to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment