Sunday 10 March 2013

Altered Clothes: Black T-Shirt Dress

*Picture to be added. This post is a little late coming due to changing internet plans and other adventures, but it has been done. Once photos are available I'll update this post.

Well, I gave it a go. The XXL black t-shirt is now...a slightly thinner black t-shirt. I feel a bit ballsy calling it a dress. Will need some tights or something underneath to wear it out of the house. Or a herd of paparazzi photographing me getting out of cars, either way. Even so, I'm pretty pleased with my efforts and will try to find some suitable thrift shop fodder soon.




"Black T-Shirt Dress", February 2013


I wasn't planning to keep the sleeves that long (I wasn't expecting the sleeves to actually work) but I found I quite liked them at that length after taking in the sides. I'm still considering changing the neck to either a scoop neck, a lower v neck or a sweetheart neckline. Think I'll live with it for a while before I make a decision.

Things I've learned:
- Think about the way pins are facing when putting them in, so you aren't pulling them out backwards when sewing.
- Use stretch cotton when sewing stretchy fabric. Otherwise it goes a bit gathered (which is fine if you want that to happen).
- Drapey skirts need a lot more fabric than a XXL mens t-shirt can provide. The best you're going to get is a little point on either side of the dress.

 Hoping to find a light blue shirt/dress I can alter to I can wear it with my new blue wedges. Though I could wear them with this one and some turquoise jewellery and purse. Making your own clothes really does open up things that might not otherwise be available or affordable, as well as keeping unwanted clothes out of landfill. I'm just glad I have simple tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment